ocba - Re: [ocba] Filtering Wax

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Matthew Yearout <ApisDurham AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Filtering Wax
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:39:14 -0400

I recently made a solar wax melter out of a small glass panel, cheap Styrofoam cooler, a coffee can and a rubber band.

  • Cut the center out of the cooler lid
  • Place a little water in the coffee can, maybe a third full.
  • Put a paper towel on top of the can and use the rubber band to hold it in place.
  • Place your wax on the towel, attach the lid with the glass panel covering the hole you cut.

This is probably something many of you are a;ready familiar with. I couldn't get over how simple it was to do, and how well it worked.  The wax wicks its way through the towel and the water makes it easy to remove from the coffee can.  Oh, and paint the inside black for faster results.

I got this off a quick web search.

Good luck,

Matthew