ocba - Re: [ocba] Swarmed Hive Advice

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Stacy Crabill <stacycrabill AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Swarmed Hive Advice
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:33:07 -0400

Hey Stacy

Welcome to beekeeping 101...the bees will do weird and wonderful things!

Personally I'd wait another week before interfering. Not knowing at what stage the cells were at when you looked in...along side mating flight weather and your newbee eyes at spotting eggs, etc. It could just bee working itself out.

If next week there isn't anything then go to plan B. til then reach out to Todd Walker or Lewis or even the folks at Carolina Bee Co. See if anyone has a queen ready. If not put out a shout out for a frame swap. Since you only have one hive(for now) you can't add eggs. One of us with more hives could sell you a frame with eggs. *(someone closer to you is best) or do some kind of swap so your bees can go at it again!

Good luck
Marty

Sent from my iPhone