ocba - Re: [ocba] Looking for a queen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Wilson" <infomet AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: "Stout, Peter" <pstout AT rti.org>, <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Looking for a queen
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 19:12:15 -0400

Strong hives are better than weak ones!
Getting queens in a hurry is risky.
WL

Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 5:53 PM
Subject: [ocba] Looking for a queen

We have one hive started from a nuc about 5 weeks ago that seems to be weak and the queen has a poor laying pattern. Very patchy. The colony is not nearly a robust as a couple other colonies started from nucs in the last couple weeks. She was in there as of Saturday and laying. Just not a very pretty pattern.

We are thinking re queening is needed. In our less than expert thought process this is getting kind of late to do leaving out other option of combining it into one of the stronger hives.

Happy for input. And if re queening is a possibility, happy for a lead on a queen.

Thanks,
Peter

Sent with Good (www.good.com)