ocba - [ocba] Seeking Help

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: George Morris <juncus215 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Seeking Help
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 11:11:51 -0400

Hey there beekeeper.
We have two hives we started in April and until today, I thought they were
dong well. I've got a brood chamber and 2 supers on each and the hives are
putting up a fair amount of capped honey. I went into both hives today and
have concerns in both.

Hive 1- Plenty of capped honey in the super on the bottom and starting to
store good nectar in the upper super. I went into the brood box and found a
queen cell, so I'm assuming the queen might be honey bound and that this hive
might swarm soon. I've switched the 2 supers around so that the supers with
capped honey is now on top and this might allow the queen to move up into the
other super to start laying in that. is this a good plan?

Hive 2 is more disturbing. - I went into the brood box and found no capped
brood young larva, or eggs. I did not find the queen but also didn't look
really hard for her. granted I only looked as about 4 frames in this box but
am quite concerned that I saw nothing that looks like brood production. Any
advice??? I'm going back into that hive this afternoon and doing a thorough
inspection, and hopefully finding the queen.

Both hives, up until this point have been doing well, both for brood and
honey production so I'm puzzled.

If theres a beekeeper in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area that would like to
take a look at these hive with me, I'd be very grateful for a second set of
eyes in this.

George

  • [ocba] Seeking Help, George Morris, 07/05/2014