ocba - Re: [ocba] Bee hives and pesticides / possibly seeking Home for two good hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bee hives and pesticides / possibly seeking Home for two good hives
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 19:14:56 -0400

Cole & Sally,

Roundup is a herbicide, not an insecticide. The product label (the legal requirement for application) for Roundup Pro does not include any known risks for pollinators, nor is it harmful for humans. Test results on honey bees, detailed in the MSDS, were:
Honey bee (Apis mellifera):
Oral/contact,48 hours, LD50:> 100μg/bee
Practically non-toxic.

There has never been any evidence that GMO crops harm bees, nor is there any logical reason that they would do so.

So I wouldn't (and don't) worry. Use of Roundup is incredibly widespread in the USA and if it were actually causing genuine problems for honey bees, that would be obvious.

Randall Austin