ocba - [ocba] Seeking queen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randy Dodd <dodd.randy AT gmail.com>
  • To: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Seeking queen
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:43:37 -0400

We're newbies who purchased two hives this spring.  With one of them, the new queen never really got going, so we combined the two which worked well and then we did a split.  The queen went to the new hive which has been thriving, and we saw supercedure cells in the old one 3 weeks ago which were empty two weeks ago but we checked again today and still no sign of queen activity. The old hive also swarmed two weeks ago, which I don't understand since there was lots of room and no swarm cells or signs of a queen, only the possibility of an emerging one.  We caught the swarm and put it in a new hive but they didn't stick around. There is no brood left and we're thinking it's a good idea to get a new queen.  Who should we contact to get a new one? Any other advice?

Randy