ocba - [ocba] walking through a split?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Julie Daniels <jld921 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] walking through a split?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:48:00 -0400

We have left our new hives alone for a few weeks, so as not to interrupt their work.
Today, we found queen cells at the bottom of the 2nd box of a stack of three.
In the bottom box we find nectar/honey.  In the top box, we find brood.
So, basically, things seem to be messed up.

My gut tells me we need to do a split to prevent a swarm, but I'm unsure about how.

If an experienced beekeeper has any step-by-step instructions, please enlighten me.

Better yet, if anyone can come take a look, we'd appreciate it.
We're in falls of New Hope (near Allen and Sons BBQ, where Chapel Hill meets Hillsborough).

919-619-3602

thanks,
Julie and Joe (the kid who slept through bee school)

  • [ocba] walking through a split?, Julie Daniels, 06/28/2014