ocba - [ocba] Varoa Mites???

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: George Morris <juncus215 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Varoa Mites???
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 17:12:48 -0400

I did as Powdered Sugar test for Varoa mites this past weekend on my 2 new
hives of bees. Knowing that all bee colonies well inevitably have Varoa mites
and even packages of shipped bees most likely will have a few mites on them,
I was surprised to have NO mite in either of my colonies. Is that possible
or am I doing something wrong??? These are new bees this year, and was
wondering whether if it just takes a while for the mites to find the bees.
Cheers,
George