ocba - Re: [ocba] Hardware Cloth

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Wilson <infomet AT embarqmail.com>, OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hardware Cloth
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:58:06 -0400

The point of #8 hardware cloth in bottom boards is to allow mites to fall through but keep bees from doing so. For a screened inner cover, I don't expect there to be interest in things falling through, and in fact it seems we would want to discourage the ability of small hive beetles to easily evade the bees by scooting above a screened cover. So I would explore using regular window screen if the whole point is ventilation, or readily-available 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch mesh if you'd like to have an inner cover entrance or allow bees to chase beetles. My guess is that 1/4 or 1/2 inch mesh should hold up better against propolization than either 1/8 inch or window screen.

I don't have screened inner covers so this is all speculation on my part... If someone uses them and knows why my suggestions are suboptimal (i.e. bogus), I'll like to be informed.

Randall