ocba - Re: [ocba] Honey knife near Chapel Hill?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hamsiba Family <hamsibas AT gmail.com>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Honey knife near Chapel Hill?
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 17:17:01 -0400

Brad,

Just FYI, I own an unheated honey knife (you are happy to borrow it) but I don't use one any more for uncapping combs. I find it much simpler and quicker to use an uncapping fork/cappings scratcher for the whole operation. 3 or 4 swipes per side and the job is done. If you aren't familiar with cappings scratchers, they are sold as a tool for getting the last stubborn cells uncapped, even when using a knife. They look very much like afro picks, but have more teeth and the points are very sharp. You can get a nice one for $5 to $10. You would think they would butcher the comb, but I find that they are far more gentler than a knife and give better control over the depth of cut.

Randall Austin