ocba - [ocba] Neighbor with repeat bee issues

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Hamsiba Family <hamsibas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Neighbor with repeat bee issues
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 13:25:00 -0400

So, as I cope with my first swarm season, a neighbor reports bees in her ceiling for the second time in 3 years, same place.  She is having someone called Jason from Green Genes come over to remove the colony.  She also has a pool which seems to be a gathering place for Morgan Creek area bees.  I have offered to go over and see what is up, if only to learn more myself, but also to attempt to bridge the obvious concerns between beekeepers and neighbors.  Their home is a pretty pricey one.

Can anyone offer a source of info for keeping bees from making return visits to structures?  I have seen everything from "no way, they always return eventually" to "clean up well and seal and it will be ok".   I would like to offer something for them to read that is useful and reputable.

I did benefit from the posting about salting the water in the bee watering device to steer them away from salt swimming pools.  My bees became way more interested in my waterer once I added a tablespoon of salt per gallon.  Hopefully at least our bees will favor the bee waterer to the pool two houses away through the trees.

Thanks as always,

Brad Kosiba

  • [ocba] Neighbor with repeat bee issues, Hamsiba Family, 05/06/2014