ocba - [ocba] Is this good or bad

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Starks, Walter" <Walter.Starks AT facilities.unc.edu>
  • To: Ocba <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Is this good or bad
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 18:59:46 +0000

This queen has been in the hive since Tuesday. The hive shows very little activity. It has 3 frames with a little comb. a few cells with pollen and nectar but not much. And just a handful of cells with open brood. I think possibly one of the workers has started laying. I added this queen last Tuesday but didn’t pull the cork on the candy because I wanted to allow an extra long time for her to get accepted. We checked today and this is what we are seeing. I can’t tell if they are trying to free the queen from the cage or kill her. There were an even larger number of bees balled up on the cage when we first opened the hive.

photo

I went ahead and pulled the cork from the candy end today. figure it’ll take at least a couple of days for the bees to eat thru. Any advice?????

________

Walter