ocba - [ocba] Packages in cold weather

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mike johnson <mm AT reddrum.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Packages in cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:40:36 -0400

I'm a second year beekeeper that got a nuc last year.

I got two new packages last saturday and put them in 8 frame hives with one
box each. I immediately started feeding them 1:1 mix. The queens were in
cages that I placed hanging from the middle of the brood box with candy in
tact.

With the cold weather this week is there is anything I can/need to do in
order to give them the best chance of surviving this week? Last night I cut
3/4" insulation and wrapped the hives in it. I know moisture can be a
problem so I'll remove it immediately after the cold weather. I also have a
entrance reducer with the smallest opening and put a solid piece in where the
mite checking board goes.

Is there is anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance!

mike