ocba - [ocba] colony kaput disorder?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lew Hassell <lew.hassell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] colony kaput disorder?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:09:52 -0400

OK, I am befuddled.  I have two hives.  My psycho colony is fine today, and they have been out and about.  I am not disturbing them 'cuz they are none too fond of me.

My other colony is dead.  Tons of dead bees.  They all seem "freshly dead" -- their bodies are soft, not hard.  I found loads of honey, uncapped nectar, pollen, and uncapped brood in the top super.  The bottom super had little honey (but some) but the comb has obviously been drawn.  (I put the top super on because the first one was full.)  All the dead bees were either on the bottom screen of the hive, or on the top super, where, as I said, there was plenty of honey and pollen.  I looked but could not spot any V mites (doesn't mean they weren't there).  I spotted maybe two SHBs, and no wax moths.  Everything looks fine, except for all the dead bees.  I tasted the honey that was left, so if I die we'll have another clue.  I had seen them flying around up to last week, as I recall.

So:
1) Any ideas?
2) Can I harvest the honey?
3) Can I reuse the frames (they look clean) for another package?
4) Should I call the extension agent, even though there is nothing to describe, other than dead bees?

Thanks

Lew