ocba - [ocba] Fwd: Close-up bee pictures

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Ellis Driver <ellisdriver AT gmail.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: Close-up bee pictures
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 16:43:10 -0500

again with photo links! Sorry!

I noticed that the bees in my observation hive were capping brood today and took some photos that I thought you all would find interesting.  I noticed the queen laying eggs for the first time a little over a week ago and now there are about 50 cells with larvae in them. :)

This hive was from a package I got last year that never really took off but my father and I built an observation hive for them earlier in the winter and they seem to be doing well!  Their population has always been too low to fight off hive beetles and other critters but now that they are exposed so some sunlight the beetles are no longer a problem at all.  I have seen one varroa since I've had them in the living room. >:(

Anyway I hope you like the pictures!  And if anyone has any advice about bees in observation hives I'm all ears.  So far seems like they are adapting fine but theres been some condensation on the glass and I am not sure if being exposed to light is bothering them.

Anyway good luck everyone!

Ellis