ocba - Re: [ocba] reversing hive bodies

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: MarilynMark Clark <wazazi.wa.binti AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] reversing hive bodies
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:02:41 -0500

Brad,

I only reverse when the bottom is all empty comb and the top has the complete brood nest. You must be careful not to split the brood nest, especially at this time of year. I don't make a big deal about reversing; usually my queens will reverse themselves with no problem.

Mark,

I started spring feeding in October. If your hives are light, you'd better feed -- April is still a good ways away. An article on this topic is on the Bailey Bee Supply website (Feb 2014 issue).

Randall Austin