ocba - [ocba] Another virus spread by mites

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Hamsiba Family <hamsibas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Another virus spread by mites
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:02:57 -0500

Interesting.  Infects both plants and bees and may be spread by, but does not systemically infect, mites.

"In the present study, we showed that a plant-pathogenic RNA virus, tobacco ringspot virus (TRSV), could replicate and produce virions in honeybees, Apis mellifera, resulting in infections that were found throughout the entire body."

"Furthermore, we showed that TRSV was also found in ectoparasitic Varroa mites that feed on bee hemolymph, but in those instances the virus was restricted to the gastric cecum of Varroa mites, suggesting that Varroa mites may facilitate the spread of TRSV in bees but do not experience systemic invasion."

http://mbio.asm.org/content/5/1/e00898-13

Mites are the enemy!

Brad Kosiba