ocba - [ocba] Top Entrance Hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Eric Schwenke <eric AT swanfire.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Top Entrance Hives
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:04:07 -0500

I just attended Michael Bush's presentation on Lazy Beekeeping today at the CSFA's annual Sustainable Agriculture Conference today. Unfortunately, I didn't get an opportunity to ask him about one of his practices before the next session.  He uses hives with custom-made top entrances and rests the hives on the ground without a platform. He pointed out that this can cause issues when used with queen excluders, but didn't mention any other problems with other inserts like propolis traps, bee escapes, or entrance reducers. Does anyone here use top entrances, and if so do you know about any issues with these?

Thanks,
Eric Schwenke

  • [ocba] Top Entrance Hives, Eric Schwenke, 11/17/2013