ocba - [ocba] too late for Mite-Away??

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jerry Schoendorf <jerry AT schoe.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] too late for Mite-Away??
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 21:56:40 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I was in my hives a day ago and a sugar shake test noted 9 mites in one hive
and 4 in the other. I'm inclined to treat both hives because it seems that 9
is a threshold number that could grow to be a bigger problem in the spring -
and I don't want to treat them just before the spring nectar flow. My
question is whether it's too late to treat now. I understand that, ideally,
it's best for the hive to have time for one or two brood cycles before
shutting down for winter. At 21 days per cycle and after a week's treatment,
that takes us up to November 17 or December 8.

Any advice, please??
Thanks,
Jerry