ocba - [ocba] help moving 4 hives about 50 feet

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Anne Cabell <cabell.anne AT gmail.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] help moving 4 hives about 50 feet
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:47:05 -0400

Dear fellow beekeepers,

My friend Paige and I each have 2 hives at the Carolina Campus Community Garden (CCCG),  located on campus near the Carolina Inn.  Because the CCCG will be expanding (yay!), we'll need to move the hives TWICE as the space is prepared.  They'll be moved a distance of about 50 feet each move.  As you well know, the hives are pretty heavy this time of year due to the winter honey stores.  We were hoping we could recruit 2-3 strong male beekeepers to help us with the moves.  The first will happen in the next 2 weeks or so.  The timing of the 2nd move is a little less clear.  It could be a month or it could be 3 months from now.

Please let me know if you're interested in helping.

By the way, the CCCG is a fabulous organization powered by 300+ volunteers and one terrific garden manager.  One hundred percent of the garden harvest is given to the University's housekeeping staff, a group comprised largely of minorities and earning the lowest wages at UNC.  You can read more about the CCCG here:  http://uncgarden.web.unc.edu/

Thanks -
Anne