ocba - Re: [ocba] cool swarm video

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Jerry Schoendorf <jerry AT schoe.com>, "Orange County Bee Assoc." <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] cool swarm video
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 14:07:56 -0400

Jerry I think he took advantage of her walking to the outside and just picked her up with his fingers. There could have been a little bee brush cohesion but I'm sure she didn't go into that little cage on her own. :-)

I've heard and tried the "bee baits" with NO luck at all, but I think they are for foragers looking for a new home. Im sure that would work for the queen.

Now the biggest thing he had going for him was tons of luck! To see them swarm early and get the queen(s) off the outside is very rare. I've had my hand inside a few swarms and still have not seen a queen yet.

I think this video speaks more bee biology than anything. IF you are lucky enough to remove the queen then their next step is to stop the swarm desire and return home.

I'd been happy to just get the swarm at all...finding the queen first is a bonus and greatly increases your chance of success!

Cheers
Marty

Sent from my iPhone