ocba - Re: [ocba] swarm question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: David DiGiuseppe <david AT daviddg.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] swarm question
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 18:26:52 -0400

David,

Yes, it is very unusual for a swarm to park like that for more than a day or two. It is possible, in fact after a week it is likely, that they are building comb right where they are, setting up housekeeping even though they are exposed in the tree top. If so, they won't survive the winter, but that's true for any swarm this late in the year anyway. Tough luck.

Randall Austin