ocba - [ocba] Laying worker

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mdshep2000 AT yahoo.com
  • To: Orange Co Bee Keepers <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Laying worker
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

As a new bee keeper this year, I started with two nucs the first of May. One nuc had queen with a spotty brood pattern and after a couple weeks the population started to decline so I replaced her and the population is slowing increasing. The other nuc was queenless when I installed it and after talking to the supplier of the nucs I let the bees try to make a new queen from eggs in the nuc to no success. I suspected a laying worker hive after seeing multiple egg in a couple cells. So I got a new queen, shook all the bees off the frames a distance away from the hive and inserted a frame of eggs from the other nuc a week and half ago hoping to correct the problem. But after inspecting the hive yesterday the new queen is not present and there is more cells with multiple eggs indicating a laying worker is still present. So what is the best option from here? A newspaper combine with my other nuc? Shake the bees out in front of the other hive and start over next year? Any help is appreciated?

Thanks
Michael

  • [ocba] Laying worker, mdshep2000, 06/26/2013