ocba - [ocba] Mite Treatment

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Mite Treatment
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 21:18:31 -0400

Hey y’all,

Did a sugar shake on my two hives today and found 10 mites in one and 15 in the other.  I’ve been “treating” with powdered sugar periodically up until now, but I think it is time to relieve some stress on my poor bees.  Tomorrow I plan to apply formic acid strips, two per hive per instructions.  Wish me luck!  Looks like the weather will be right, temperature wise, for the next 7 days.

Also, added a super on top of an existing super today in one of my hives, and I got to employ a recently learned trick on the other hive.  In the second hive, my cut comb super was full of brood, just about every frame!  I really appreciate that tip from an earlier post on the OCBA listserv where you place a super with just foundation, no comb, in between the honey super and the brood chambers.  Once these bees hatch out in the cut comb area, I suspect the girls will clean them out nicely and just put honey since the queen should not cross the foundation layer.

Tons of honey, very exciting.  Harvested my first sneak preview honey and it was very light in color with an excellent, mild flavor… I suspect wildflower honey.

Tom