ocba - [ocba] How busy is too busy at the door?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Hamsiba Family <hamsibas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] How busy is too busy at the door?
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 16:44:34 -0400

So, now that we have had our first two packages for almost 2 weeks, we have bonded with them and are feeling very protective.  How can I distinguish a busy hive from a hive under attack from robbers?

Usually during busy parts of the day I see 1-2 dozen bees bobbing around in front seeming to be angling for a landing site and another dozen on the porch.  A few days ago it seemed a little more chaotic (though also warmer) than usual and I reduced the entrance reducer from the wider slot to the small slot being worried about hungry neighbors.  Now that small opening is a very busy place, but they are still two small packages trying to get their first brood going. (will not inspect frames for first look til later this weekend).

- Can I hurt things by leaving the reducer at "small"?  (bottoms are wire, so heat is not an issue)
- How do I tell the difference between a busy afternoon of deliveries and the neighbors doing take-out?  I have scanned my notes from class, and I can't really make a good call here.

Yes some are crawling up the front and some fly off from there.  Many of those are just unhappy the top entrance is closed at the moment.  Still can't see a real difference between "heavy" arrivals and Iighter ones.  Lots of pollen coming in.  Guidance?

Thanks,

Brad Kosiba