ocba - [ocba] Adding hive bodies

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: MarilynMark Clark <wazazi.wa.binti AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Adding hive bodies
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 00:30:44 -0400

Finally able to check my two hives today from when I installed  Bailey's 3-pound packages on May 11.  Of course by now I had a full frame's worth of burr comb attached to my feeders where the 10th frame was removed for the queen cage.  Found both queens out of their cages and doing fine.  Removed the burr comb and added a frame of undrawn foundation, the other nine frames in both hives contained drawn comb from previous hives though no honey or nectar.  I am still feeding and the hive boxes are 10-frame full size.  Most of the frames were covered with bees (!?) from the 3 pound packages.  I am inclined to add a hive body (Illinois) especially with all the rain keeping the girls at home, but is it possible that a 3-pound package can produce "crowded" conditions before any brood has hatched?  Need I worry about too much space because of hive beetles even with packaged bees?  I would not worry about hive beetles in WV and add additional boxes without hesitation, but here ... ?

As usual, thank you in advance,

Mark