ocba - Re: [ocba] Bee Pollen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Trevor Thompson <trevorjamesthompson AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bee Pollen
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 14:54:08 -0400

Hi Trevor

Charles At the Carrboro Farmers Market has it. He's there on Saturdays and most wed.

Now with that said I get asked a lot for our pollen. Over the years my views have shifted some, but in the end I feel it's worth a try for your friend.

There are two separate issues at play here!

1st: the time of year your friend(or anyone) is having an allergic reaction may not line up with the time the beekeeper collected the pollen. In short think of the year broken down into quarters. Each quarter has different things in bloom so a 3rd quarter collection time will not likely help a 1st quarter allergy. So timing and asking when they collect is critical through out the year so you can align them up.

2nd: bee pollen is almost 90% flower offered pollen. Some allergies based on the individual maybe from AIR blown pollens. Now air/wind blown pollens do end up on flowers that bees feed on, (that's the issue with GMO corn). So they may get a bit of the allergic triggered pollen that way but it's a long shot.

So not to be confusing but as truthful with your friend as possible. Depending on what they are allergic to and the collection time of the beekeeper will dictate the success rate of this experiment.

Good luck!

Marty
Just Bee

Sent from my iPhone