ocba - [ocba] Are you keeping feral bees, or are you no treatment?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, durham-county-beekeepers AT googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Are you keeping feral bees, or are you no treatment?
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:41:04 -0400

Hi All,

I am hoping to put together a no treatment yard, and would like to
know if you have a cutout, are keeping feral bees or are no treatment.
Specifically, I'm interested in bees at least 3 years with no
treatment that are doing well (started from a package, cutout, or
swarm; continuously occupied- if you replaced the bees in the last 3
years, I'm not interested). 3 years is about the time it takes varroa
to kill a colony, so this process is trying to select for either
varroa resistance or lack of exposure to varroa, or something like
that. So, if you have these bees, I would like to work something out
by purchasing a queen cell or queen, buying/trading a frame of her
eggs, grafting on site, or something like that). Let me know if
you're interested. My next grafting is scheduled the week of May 20.

Best,
Blair
627-1122

  • [ocba] Are you keeping feral bees, or are you no treatment?, Blair Christian, 05/10/2013