ocba - [ocba] A science based look at this spring's almond pollination...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, durham-county-beekeepers AT googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] A science based look at this spring's almond pollination...
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 10:32:40 -0400

Hi All,

There is a lot going on in the media, in public policy, and in
scientific publications about bees right now. I'm not here to change
your mind, but would like point you towards what I find to be unbiased
data by a beekeeper that tells a convincing story about the spring
2013 bee losses and almond pollination shortages in the media. The
data used are publicly available for you to examine and critique (it's
great if you disagree with the data and draw a different conclusion).
It wasn't peer reviewed, but cites a lot of peer reviewed work. The
author is Randy Oliver, who is a beekeeper-scientist, whose focus is
on clear, transparent communication useful to serious beekeepers.
He's not an academic, and doesn't want to be one as far as I can tell;
but has been invited to sit of various scientific review boards and
discloses any industry interests on his website. He runs his own well
designed (in a statistical sense) bee experiments, with controls, big
n's, and clear protocols. He also has monthly columns in at least one
of the bee journals. With that in mind, I invite you to read and
discuss his take on the spring 2013 almond pollination:

"What Happened to the Bees This Spring?" by Randy Oliver
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzxus2rq3XxPR0ZmTWZMV1h0NTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Best,
Blair