ocba - [ocba] Hot off the UK Press

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Hot off the UK Press
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:14:59 -0400

Howdy,

So its official. There is a 2 year "ban" (still need to get final wording on what that really means) in new UK vote!

For this side, 2 years is not long enough (if the vote holds that long), but the science slinging will ramp up for sure. I hope what is not lost is this is mostly focused on Bayers and Syngenta's -Neonics. Both have versions of "insecticides"...designed to slowly disrupt "insects". I think an insect kill is a kill...slowly or instant. Bees and other pollinators are insects...simple issue for me...i side on not introducing so much insecticides to food plants we need pollinated and without proper warning for the public for home use.

I see Neonic's as the low hanging fruit, as other yes more quickly acting or toxic chems are still used and even seeing record sales. They are next i'm guessing.

One important note is scientific reports and findings from folks like The Xerces Society show this stuff stays in the ground for 6 years after the initial planting. I'm not sure how that will play out as the "ban" is seen-meant to give a break to the pollinators. I hope that will happen.

I also truly believe its a mix of products, but also a repeated exposure for the bees (and other pollinators-its SO easy to forget them as this who conversation happens. Its easy to see HB die off's and measure them, but there is no way to truly gauge others).

One thing is for sure...more conversations will happen and the debate will only grow. That's a good thing!

Cheers,
Marty Hanks
Just Bee, Apiaries

 Home of the Orange County Honey Project.
"Created by Artisans....Bottled by Humans"

  • [ocba] Hot off the UK Press, Marty Hanks, 04/29/2013