ocba - Re: [ocba] One hive dead, one hive thriving

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Catherine Adamson <cadamson AT alumni.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] One hive dead, one hive thriving
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:39:16 -0500

Catherine,

It seems you and i had the same situation...a huge SHB invasion this year to the mid to lower section of Orange Co. I lost 1/2 my hives! Sunny spots, etc! The lack of nectar mid summer and massive SHB bettle invasion stressed my girls so much they stopped laying for over a month in a few hives. I had 3 abscond as well in all 3 situations with brood & food in the hive. One of them i found the queen walking around in there w/ 20 bees! SO weird!

marty