ocba - [ocba] Repiratory protection and beekeepers - topic from last meeting

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Chris and Lisa Laudeman <chrisandlisa AT laudeman.com>
  • To: OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Repiratory protection and beekeepers - topic from last meeting
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 17:03:24 -0500

Hello Beekeepers,

At last week's meeting, Geneva brought up the issue of protecting
ourselves from things like formic acid while treating hives. The
discussion quickly turned to "respirators" and the need for full face
protection to protect our eyes as well as lungs.

However, some significant issues quickly came up. After chatting with
Geneva, she asked if I would post a note about this. . .especially
since I have a viable and maybe affordable solution.

While formic acid is not among the nastiest things I might work with,
it is volatile and corrosive, especially in pure form, and especially
for eyes, lungs, and mucous membranes. It's also somewhat toxic. If
you are using it, you certainly should be aware of the hazards and
taking some precautions.

A full face respirator can afford excellent protection against an
organic vapor like formic acid, but there are some deal-killer issues
with a respirator for the average beekeeper. To ensure proper
function and safety with a respirator, you need to have a lung
function test, chest x-ray, and approval from a qualified physician.
Then you need to have a respirator fit test and cannot have a beard or
razor stubble. Respirators are expensive and need to be cleaned after
each use, stored carefully, and occasionally inspected and fit-tested.
The good ones are expensive too.

However, there is an alternative that is not only approved by safety
authorities but also reasonably accessible to average folks: A
powered air purifying respirator. It's basically a hood with a face
shield that is supplied with purified air by a pump system. There are
many varieties. For a beekeeper, the basic requirements would be
battery powered and organic vapor rated. I would also want simple and
lightweight.

Here is an appropriate example from 3M marketed for painters (of
course I'm not endorsing anything here):
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/PPESafetySolutions/PPESafety/Personal_Protective_Equipment/Product_Catalog/~/3M-Belt-Mounted-PAPR-Painter-s-Kit-GVP-PSK2-37335-AAD-1-Case?N=4294698593+5011378&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3APGTC6033RZgs_2NVXB3T4PX_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&loc=en_US&plmlblid=1273684239254&rt=d

Boy that's a long URL link. I hope it works. That's 3M product
number GVP-PSK2 in case you need to look it up that way. I'm sure we
can find something comparable that is cheaper.

They still have issues: expense, replacing cartridges, cleaning,
etc., but the discussion can carry on from here if folks think this is
something they are interested in.

Take care,

Chris

  • [ocba] Repiratory protection and beekeepers - topic from last meeting, Chris and Lisa Laudeman, 02/21/2013