ocba - [ocba] various ideas

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Geneva <gggreen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] various ideas
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:17:38 -0500

Hi Everyone
I hope you all are enjoying this beautiful day as much as the bees. As we move into bee season, I have been hearing lots of ideas both from longtime members and new beekeepers and I wanted to mention a few before our February meeting so we could discuss them then.

One was the idea of having a page on the website that had links to people who sold bee related things. [We cannot sell anything on our website but we can send people in the right direction. ] I know most of us have no trouble in getting rid of our honey but we definitely get a fair number of requests on the listserve of people looking for honey or pollen or queens etc... I think one logistical issue would be that we could only update this once a year. It would be a lot of work to put someone's name and contact up and then take it down a month later when they were out of honey. So is this something that would be helpful or is it away from our club's purpose?

The second is on a similar line. Someone is bee school was asking if we had a honey co-op and they said that Whole Foods or Weaverstreet only bought their honey from co-op because they needed a larger supply than a single hobbyist could supply. So is there a group of people interested in pooling their honey stores and selling them together? I personally love having our own little production and bottling, but would love to see truly local honey in some of our grocery stores.

The third is coming out of a lot of conversations about treating for Varroa Mites. Both Formic acid and Thymol are acceptable treatments in CNG for mites but both need cautionary measures when applying, Formic especially. Since a respirator is needed to apply Formic, should the club invest in one that individuals can rent out?

So that is a lot to think about, please bring your thoughts and your valentine to February's meeting on Thursday the 14th.
thanks
Geneva

Geneva Green
919 475 7668
7211 Wilkerson Road
Cedar Grove, NC 27231
gggreen AT mindspring.com

  • [ocba] various ideas, Geneva, 01/29/2013