ocba - [ocba] Varroa

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Varroa
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:23:56 -0500 (EST)

Hello Beekeepers,

Many healthy colonies were working hard during our recent run of beautiful weather gathering red maple pollen to support increased brood rearing.  Many of the colonies I looked at this weekend had wonderful fresh reserves of the pale green pollen and were busy expanding the broodnest.  It might be a bit too early to declare the official beginning of bee season but we are certainly very close.  Traffic on our listserve has been quiet for several months but it is starting to pick up as folks anxiously wait for another year to practice and share the craft of beekeeping.  This can only mean one thing.  It's time yet again for my twice yearly rant about varroa mites.

There was alot of chatter on the Chatham listserve last month about empty hives.  I have spoken to many OCBA beekeepers in person who have had the same experience, but I don't believe we have had many questions on our listserve about it.  Many (if not all) of the beekeepers I spoke with regarding empty hives had no idea what the mite pressure was in their colonies.  I want everyone to understand how to monitor mite pressure.  I want everyone to understand what the numbers mean.  I want everyone to understand that mites are a serious threat to bee health.  Mostly I want everyone to monitor and keep track of mite pressure so that we might decrease the number of folks being blindsided by empty hives.

The first resource I want to share is A Field Guide to Honeybees and Their Maladies.  It is available as a free PDF and covers most everything that will give your colonies trouble.  It's not super in depth but has plenty of photos to help you identify problems.  My favorite quote from the book is below:

"The collapse of colonies, particularly strong colonies,

in the late summer and early fall is a possible symptom

of a significant infestation of varroa mites and the

diseases associated with these mites."

Again...It's free and a useful resource for new folks and old timers as well.

The next resources I want to share cover varroa mite biology.  Knowing and understanding honey bee biology is important.  Knowing and understanding varroa biology is critical.  There is a reason why it is named varroa destructor!

The first resource is a tough read.  It is very thorough and can be tough to trudge through some sections.  Make a good effort to understand it and you will be head and shoulders above most beekeepers out there in your understanding of the mite.  Put on your thinking cap and dive in!

The next resouce is straight out of Bee Culture and American Bee Journal.  More accessable, not as thorough, but certainly worth your time. Varroa Mite Reproductive Biology.

The next resource covers what I believe is the most accurate method of sampling.  At our field days when we talk about sampling mites and demonstrate the method, I believe we may be a bit too wishy washy.  "Sample something like 200 or 300 bees. If you shake more than 10 or 15 mites you might want to do something".  This paper I believe eliminates the guess work and lays down the law.  "Sample exactly 300 bees everytime.  Take action when you shake more than 15 mites" (15 is the magic number for mid to late summer).  The paper shows you how to sample 300 bees everytime and explains why 15 mites is the magic number.  If you only click one link in this rambling email, let it be this one.  Bonus points for folks who build or buy a Gizmo.  Yes the Gizmo is expensive for a collection of PVC parts.  If it helps you feel more comfortable and confident while assessing mite pressure, it will certainly pay for itself (it costs about half as much as a new package of bees).  I have never used one but hope to try one out soon.

Monitoring mite pressure is critical for all beekeepers.  Knowing what the numbers are let you know when you need to take action.  Monitoring after you have taken action let's you know if your actions were effective.  Are my IPM measures working?  Do I need to add more components to my IPM tool box?

The attached article talks about working towards being chemical free and how important monitoring is when you are trying to walk that path.

Cheers,

  • [ocba] Varroa, Lewis Cauble, 01/15/2013