ocba - [ocba] White pollen??

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com, Debbie Roos <Debbie.Roos AT chathamnc.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] White pollen??
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:49:18 -0500

Hello,

As most of you may have done today I went into my hives. I have two up in Saxapahaw and while inspecting the frames i found this "white pollen" in both. I went through 9 hives today as various spots and these two are the only one with this in it.

SO is there any known flowering plants this time (or abouts giving temps) that produce a white pollen that anyone knows of??

At first i thought it some kind of mold, but no...then i thought back to the last time i used powered sugar...umm 1 1/2 months ago so i do not think its that. The last bit of fun to the puzzle....it smells like beer! Also it seems to be more of a crystal than a true pollen powered, but that last part could be wrong given my 40 ye old eyes.

Any ideas??   Has anyone else seen this around?   THANKS!

Cheers,
Marty Hanks
Just Bee Apiary