ocba - Re: [ocba] Bee Activity

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Michael Gelinne <msgelinne AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bee Activity
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:32:46 -0500

Mike,

Yes, on a nice day like today with the maples in bloom the bees should be quite active.

Go to the side of the hive, put your ear against the box and give the side a couple of sharp knocks with your knuckles. You should hear a loud "buzzzz!!!!" rise and fall in response to the knocking. If you don't hear anything at all, then that confirms your visual observation: nobody is home.

Winter losses are common. At least this is a good time of year for your neighbor to make plans for replacing the bees since the package suppliers aren't sold out yet.

Randall Austin