ocba - Re: [ocba] looking for guidance on nice smoker

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] looking for guidance on nice smoker
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:07:28 -0500 (EST)

I have this model from Dadant and it has been sturdy and dependable.  I like that it is made in America.

Before you give up on your smoker...The grate in the bottom of most smokers has 3 feet to hold it off of the bottom.  Double check that one of the feet is not blocking the air supply coming from the bellows.

When lighting a smoker start small.  The goal is to have a good hot fire below and plenty of fuel above.  Start with half a hand full of dry pine straw.  Light it and stuff it in the smoker while pumping the bellows.  When you get a good flame jumping out the top (this will happen fast), put another hand full of straw in. Pump the bellows.  Pump until the flame jumps out again and put another hand full in.  Large amounts of thick white smoke should be pouring out.  Now that you have a good hot fire in the bottom, jam as much pine straw in there as you can while frequently pumping the bellows.  Jam it, cram it, stuff it in. You should have gobs of cool white smoke coming out the top when pumping the bellows. Don't close the top of the smoker until you have gobs of thick white smoke pouring out the top while pumping the bellows and the smoker is tightly stuffed full of pine straw.