ocba - [ocba] wax damage

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] wax damage
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:59:43 -0500

Our empty supers are stored in a storage room near the kitchen of our common house. Today I found what looks to me like 3 different kinds of damage to the comb (photo attached). One is just eaten, one is nibbled and has what looks like roach feces in it, and in the last one the cells are filled with "stuff."  If it were wood I would call it saw dust.

All the supers were frozen for 48 hours before storage. I've seen wax moth damage and this is not like that. Anyone have any ideas? I expect where it has been nibbled the bees will just repair it, but what to do about the other damage?   I don't want to gross out our bees. Thanks. -Elisabeth