ocba - [ocba] Hive absconded?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Hive absconded?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:05:03 -0400

Hi All,

I'm managing some hives for a lady in south durham. She went on
vacation for 2 weeks and came back to an empty hive. It was a package
started in April. I took the 2 weak hives up to the mountains to get
a July flow, and left this one strong one there. It seemed to have
some capped honey and looked fine last time I checked it in early
July... Any thoughts? The comb was totally empty, some wax moths had
just moved in, but no bees, no SHB larvae... She fed them with an
entrance feeder before she left town, so perhaps there was some
robbing pressure and they left? Does this sound familiar?

Best,
Blair

  • [ocba] Hive absconded?, Blair Christian, 08/28/2012