ocba - Re: [ocba] "irish" bumble bee?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jenny Barwick <jennybarwick AT gmail.com>
  • To: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] "irish" bumble bee?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:18:00 -0400

This is really an interesting-looking bee!  I can't enlarge the image without losing a lot of resolution (so I can't see the green eye), but in the smaller pic it looks as though the abdomen is smooth and shiny, rather like a carpenter bee's.  Could it be something other than a bumble bee? No matter, it's a very cool observation! Jenny