ocba - [ocba] Dead Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Cheryl Kozel <cherylkozel1641 AT att.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Dead Bees
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 09:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

Good morning:

I have two hives which were installed the end of April.    They seemed to be doing fine. However, the last 2 times I inspected them I did not see the queens.   I did see brood, so I am hoping they were just hiding somewhere in the hive.

This morning I was working in my garden and noticed several bees on the ground and they seemed sort of sluggish and not interested in foraging.  Thought maybe they were drones.  I also notticed a lot of activity near the entrance to one of the hive and decided to check a little closer.  I noticed a pile of dead bees on the ground.  I have not opend the hives at his point, mainly because it is so hot.

Anybody have any insights as to what might have caused so many dead bees?  If there is someone close by that has some time, Iwould greatly appreciate some help and  a more experienced pair of eyes to help me figure out what is going on and if things are okay.  I am off the Old Greensboro Road in Chapel Hill.

Cheryl Kozel

  • [ocba] Dead Bees, Cheryl Kozel, 07/08/2012