ocba - [ocba] hive expansion question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] hive expansion question
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:56:55 -0400

We have a new hive made from a split, queenless for several weeks but with a new queen laying as of June 24. We have been feeding them and they have drawn out all but two frames of a deep and have tons of brood already. Is this an OK time to put on a new hive body for them to draw out? We don't have any drawn out deep frames (except in our other hives), but we do have a drawn-out medium super. Would it be better to put this super on or is it OK to give them foundation to draw out? If we did this, I would assume we'd keep feeding them. Thanks for any advice. -Elisabeth

  • [ocba] hive expansion question, Elisabeth Curtis, 07/05/2012