ocba - [ocba] Cut Comb Foundation and Small Hive Beetle Questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Cut Comb Foundation and Small Hive Beetle Questions
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:16:48 -0400

Hey y’all,

This morning I went into my hive to check on some things and to add a platform under the hive.  My current configuration was two brood chambers and a medium super with cut comb foundation.  When I opened the top, I found the cut comb foundation had all fallen down from their frames.  There were no wires, per design.  Why did it all collapse?

I removed the medium super and so now the hive has just two brood chambers.  I took the super away and left it in a place to allow the bees to escape.  Then I went back and took all the frames out.  There I found about a dozen small hive beetles, which I and my daughter took great joy in squishing.  Do I need to be worried about finding that many in the top super?  At least I decreased the population a bit, but how do I know if I have too many?

Thanks!

Tom