ocba - [ocba] swarm cells advice?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Julie Spero <jcstevens AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] swarm cells advice?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:30:19 -0400

Hi all,

I'm a new beekeeper this season.  I did a hive inspection this morning (last one was about 3 weeks ago).  I have a hive body and a super.  The two middle frames in the super had some larvae and some capped brood  (about 1/3 of both middle frames).  In the hive body, there were several cells on the lower edges that looked like they might be swarm cells but I'm not sure if the comb is just being drawn in a strange pattern.  I left the cells alone and added another super just in case (the old super was about 3/4 full of capped and uncapped honey. The frames on either end had drawn out but mostly empty comb).

If they are swarm cells, do I need to go back in and destroy them or will the extra room in the super quell the urge to swarm?

The bees have also gotten noticeably more aggressive in the past week-- while standing about 2 feet away from the hive earlier in the week, 3 bees flew out at me and one stung me, which was a surprise.  I've heard a clicking sound and also saw a bumblebee fly into the hive but didn't notice either during my inspection.  Any theories on the aggressive behavior?  Perhaps the hot weather?

Thanks,

Julie