ocba - [ocba] Vitex tree sounded like a swarm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Vitex tree sounded like a swarm
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:31:24 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,
Yesterday I was out in the yard and I thought I heard a bee swarm.
Turns out so many bees were in our 20 foot tall vitex tree it
sounded like a swarm. I recall last year this vitex only got
bumble bee types. Must be a rain moisture thing with the flowers
and the bees being attracted to it. Our big mountain mint patch is
also covered in more bees this year as well.

Been seeing lots (acres) of narrow-leaved plantain
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H150.htm in bloom, Gunter Hauk
mentioned it was a good source for bees in Floyd VA. Not seen any
bees on it, have you seen any here in the Piedmont?

Cheers,
Randy

www.rlephoto.blogspot.com
Rougemont, NC

  • [ocba] Vitex tree sounded like a swarm, birdcr AT concentric.net, 06/24/2012