ocba - [ocba] Sugar feedings and queen excluder

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "April Rhodes" <ARhodes AT sportsendeavors.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Sugar feedings and queen excluder
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:08:55 -0400

New beekeeper here… How do I know when to stop feeding my bees sugar syrup?  I installed my hive back in April, have 2 hive bodys, and one shallow super (if all that makes a difference).  They’re still taking the syrup, a mason jar full every day or so.

Also, I put on the shallow super last week but did not add a queen excluder.  Much of the research I’m finding is mixed about whether or not you should use a queen excluder.  Did I do the right thing?

Thanks,

April