ocba - [ocba] Entrance Reducer

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Entrance Reducer
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:39:05 -0400

Newbee Question: How long, and at what setting, “should” the reducer be used at when hiving a new bee box w/queen?

To rephrase, there are three settings, the smallest hole, the medium hole, and no reducer at all…which is best, for what length of time for this time of year given my new set up?  Multiple opinions are expected…

My one Langstroth hive with a top feeder ate the equivalent of a 5 pound bag of sugar (as 1:1 syrup) in the 4 days since it was hived last Friday!  I’m surprised, this time of year.

Thanks!

Tom Grizzle