ocba - Re: [ocba] two swarms question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: David DiGiuseppe <david AT daviddg.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] two swarms question
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:00:09 -0400

David,

After-swarms (a hive swarming again after it has already swarmed once) are not uncommon. They fall in the category of, "what ELSE can go wrong?"!!!

They are biologically interesting... clearly the workers must prevent the first new queen from killing her fellow queen-sisters in order to be able to swarm again so soon. So it must be a well-developed plan from the beginning to cast off multiple swarms? I've been meaning to read Tom Seeley's "Honey Bee Democracy" to see if it addresses any of these sorts of questions.

Randall