ocba - Re: [ocba] pesticides in beeswax

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff.bollinger AT gmail.com>
  • To: Betsy Kempter <betsykempter AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] pesticides in beeswax
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 12:21:56 -0400

Betsy you may find this interesting:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

I'm planning to experiment with "foundationless" frames soon. Seems
like a pretty cool idea with a lot of collateral benefits, and you could
always use virgin wax (from cappings) to ensure you have no residual
pesticide. I've not had good success with the plastic frames in the
past although I know many others who have.

Not to get crazy but I wonder about the CNG cert and using plastic
frames. I really doubt it has an appreciable impact to any hive
products/bee-health but there's lots of noise around bisphenol-A,
dioxins, and phthalates in plastics - I guess the CNG requirements have
to draw the line somewhere.

Jeff