ocba - [ocba] Dead Bees - Tongues out

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Dan Kyburz" <dkyburzus AT gmail.com>
  • To: "'NC Beekeepers Orange County'" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Dead Bees - Tongues out
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:39:15 -0400

Hi folks, I just installed 2 packages a few weeks ago and one of the hive has about 100 visible dead bees on the ground in front.  Other hives have not one.  Seems to be mostly from one day and few more every day for last few days.  I’ve noticed they are some that are twitchy and have their tongues hanging way out.  They were healthy when installed and have had sugar syrup and pollen substitute since they were installed.  Is it safe to assume they are dying due to exposure to pesticide somewhere they are foraging?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dan